Affordable Care Act
Updated Jan. 12, 2016: The window is open NOW to enroll in or change your health insurance through the Affordable Care Act, also known as Obamacare, for the calendar year 2016. That means you can sign up or change your plan now.
- Open enrollment deadline to enroll in health insurance is Jan. 31, 2016. After this date, individuals and families will have to wait until the next open enrollment period unless they have a qualifying event such was a marriage, adoption, change in employment, etc.
- The fee for those who do not enroll is $695 per adult and half of that fee per child. The maximum penalty per family is $2,085 or 2.5 percent of the family’s annual income; whichever is higher.
- The ACA requires individuals to be insured the entire year. If a person has a coverage lapse lasting three or more consecutive months, they will still face a partial penalty.
- Health insurance plans through the ACA are affordable, with many families paying as little as $3 per day to insure their entire family. Financial assistance is available based on income levels. Approximately 87 percent of individuals who signed up for a plan received financial assistance, with the average cost of plans being $101 per month.
There are three easy ways to apply for healthcare:
- On-line at www.healthcare.gov or www.cuidadodesalud.gov
- By phone at @ 1-800-318-2596 (Any language)
- In Person: San Antonians can easily locate an enrollment assister by calling 211, option 1, or by visiting www.enrollsa.com and click on the “Enroll Now” button.
For those wishing to enroll, the documentation required includes:
The Enroll SA Coalition will be holding enrollment events daily until Jan. 31. Evening and weekend appointments are also available. For the latest information on events visit www.enrollsa.com
Frequently Asked Questions: