April 12 last day to register to vote in May election
Citizens must register to vote by Thursday April 12 to be eligible to cast a ballot in the City of San Antonio’s May 12, 2012 Bond and Charter Amendment Election.
You can find voter registration forms in public libraries, government offices and high schools, or you can print the form online. If your registration is postmarked April 12 or earlier, you’ll be eligible to vote on May 12 (send complete registration cards to Voter Registration Office, 203 W. Nueva Suite 3.61, San Antonio, TX 78207).
Don’t know if you are registered to vote? Find out here.
San Antonio voters will vote for or against five Bond Propositions in five categories: Streets, Bridges and Sidewalks; Drainage and Flood Control; Parks, Recreation and Open Spaces; Libraries, Museum and Cultural Arts Facilities; and Public Safety Facilities.
You can find NOWCastSA’s complete coverage of the bond planning process here, including an interactive map of projects sortable by type and council district. There is also more information on each project on the City of San Antonio web page.
In addition to the Bond Package, San Antonio voters will also consider an amendment to the City Charter that would allow the City to fill city council vacancies by special election instead of appointment when more than 270 days remain in the unexpired term, allowing the City Council to appoint a temporary council member until the election can take place.
For a complete sample ballot, click here. Other items up for public vote in Bexar County on May 12 include:
- Alamo Community College District Trustee, District No. 5
- North East Independent School District Trustees, Place No. 4, 5 and 6
- City of Balcones Heights General Election for Mayor, Council Place No 1 and 2
- City of Castle Hills Alderman, Place. No. 1, 4 and 5
- City of Fair Oaks Ranch Special Election for Mayor, Council Place No. 1 and 2 and the reauthorization of local sales and use tax at the rate of one fourth of one percent for street repairs
- City of Kirby Council Members
- City of Lean Valley General Election for Mayor, Council Place No. 2 and 4 and a $7 million bond proposition for a pubic safety and support services complex
- City of Live Oak election for Mayor and Council Place No. 2 and 4
- City of Shavano Park Alderman
- Town of Hollywood Park election for Mayor and Council Place No. 2 and 4
- Bexar County Water Control and Improvement District #10 Director
Early voting will begin April 30 and last through May 8 (Click here for a list of Early Voting Sites).
For election information, call the Office of the City Clerk at 207-7253 or Bexar County Elections Department at 335-8683 (VOTE).
For more information on voter registration, call the Bexar County Voter Registration Office at 335-6625.
Photo by Chris Martin, PhotoXpress.com