Webcast: San Antonio Mayor Julián Castro gives United State of the City address
REPLAY THE VIDEO: Watch complete video from the United State of the City event on March 23, featuring San Antonio Mayor Julián Castro and SA2020 CEO Darryl Byrd.
Four organizations hosted the event: the Alamo Asian American Chamber of Commerce, the San Antonio Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, the Alamo City Black Chamber of Commerce and the Greater San Antonio Chamber of Commerce.
Generous underwriting from the San Antonio Housing Authority enabled NOWCastSA to webcast this event live.
The following is a list of highlights from their speech and their respective time codes in the second video above.
- 1:40 - The mayor gives his introductions and thanks to City Council, City Manager Sheryl Sculley, city staff and Speaker of the Texas House, Rep. Joe Straus.
- 3:27 - Thanks to the participating chambers of commerce, the business community, CPS Energy CEO Doyle Beneby and SAWS CEO Robert Puente.
- 4:20 - The city's opportunity and growth potential, including growth in downtown and at Port San Antonio. He also speaks about the relocation of Visionworks' headquarters and the job growth at Boeing.
- 7:15 - The mayor speaks about Geekdom, the Eastside Promise grant and the decline of San Antonio's teen pregnancy rates ahead of its SA2020 goals.
- 8:09 - The mayor speaks about San Antonio's top ranking as a Best-Performing City by the Milken Institute.
- 8:43 - The mayor speaks about the city's long-term investments in health and wellness and residents' increased choices to be healthy. He mentions increased funding to the city's parks, the success of Siclovia and San Antonio's B-Cycle program, as well as the work of Metro Health.
- 11:10 - The mayor speaks of the city's efforts to improve education standards and increase the amount of people pursuing higher education. He speaks about Cafe College, Serve SA and their Student Aid Saturday program to help college-bound students and their parents apply for financial aid.
- 13:32 - The mayor speaks about the city's economic focus and its transition into a city focused on technology, energy and biotechnology development. He specifically mentions Petco's corporate expansion to San Antonio, InCube Labs, CPS Energy, OCI Solar and Jason Stars of TechStars Cloud.
- 18:25 - The mayor speaks about the May 12 bond election and mentions a few of the projects.
- 21:12 - The mayor concludes his remarks by proposing a November ballot measure that would increase the city's sales tax by 1/8-cent to fund education initiatives.
You can come back and view this video at any time. You can also see the highlights of the mayor's 2011 United State of the City speech.
The photo on the front is by Darren Abate via TEDxSanAntonio. The photo on the inside is a NOWCastSA photo of the crowd during the 2011 United State of the City address.