Terms of Service
Welcome to NOWCastSA’s Terms of Service page. We feel the terms of service are necessary for both you and the NOWCastSA team, but we’ve tried to keep this short and informal for you (so please read). If you have any questions, concerns, feedback, or the like, please contact us.
Users of NOWCastSA attest that they understand and agree to the following policies:
No running amuck
NOWCastSA is about community, your stories and trust. We’re all adults here (or at least 13). Therefore:
- Before your article, event listing, photo, video or slideshow is published, it will be reviewed and edited by a member of the NOWCastSA team. We may request additional information or revisions before it is published. (Even editors need editors!)
- Account holders may not, in any way, shape or form, post material or comments that are libelous, unsubstantiated, include foul language, hate speech and/or cyber-bullying (i.e. Don’t be a jerk).
- We reserve the right to remove any posts that contain any of the above language, but also know we are under no obligation to do so, hence:
- Users who submit content on NOWCastSA attest that they accept full liability for their submission and are solely responsible for any claims they make.
Accountability, Transparency and Corrections
Ethical journalism means taking responsibility for one’s work and explaining one’s decisions to the public. As journalists, we will:
- Explain ethical choices and processes to audiences. Encourage a civil dialogue with the public about journalistic practices, coverage and news content.
- Respond quickly to questions about accuracy, clarity and fairness.
- Acknowledge mistakes and correct them promptly and prominently. Explain corrections and clarifications carefully and clearly.
- Expose unethical conduct in journalism, including within their organizations.
- Abide by the same high standards they expect of others.
No commercial advertising
Account holders may not post material or comments that constitute commercial advertising. We want to share your community events and stories - but we aren't here to sell your stuff (drink specials, 3-day sales, items for sale or rent, free puppies, etc.). We reserve the right to remove any posts that we consider to be commercial advertising. If you are not sure whether your story or event constitutes advertising, ask us!
We do not sell ad space on our site, but if you are interested in promoting a product or service, we do have sponsorship and underwriting opportunities that may meet your needs.
NOWCastSA is committed to creating an online platform where people in the community can take ownership of news and information important to their neighborhood.
We invite people to actively participate in the conversations happening alongside stories on the site, and we want to make this a place where everyone is comfortable talking to each other about local issues.
Because of this, we will actively be moderating the comments and posts on our site.
We are committed to providing a forum where you can talk to us and to each other in a neighborly way.
Here are our guidelines:
- The best comments are those that add more information to a story, express a different viewpoint or create intelligent debate.
- Don’t be a jerk. Seriously. We welcome constructive debate, but please play nice. We’re a community. We’re in this together.
- Avoid comments that are off-topic and do not further the conversation.
- We will remove comments that are offensive, contain personal attacks, foul language or libel. We do not tolerate defamation of any kind.
- NOWCastSA is about having a conversation. So make observations, get involved, interact, be smart, be ethical, have a sense of humor. Can’t do this without continuously having a potty mouth or making personal attacks? Well, then, NOWCastSA reserves the right to suspend or cancel your account.
We also reserve the right to update and change these guidelines, however, we plan to be completely transparent at all times. We feel it is very important for you to know how we come to make our decisions.
When you submit content to NOWCastSA (whether it be photos, video, audio or text), you:
- remain the owner of the content but are giving permission for others to redistribute your submissions according to Creative Commons licensing
- attest that you have obtained proper rights and permissions necessary to legally distribute the content under Creative Commons Attribution 3.0
The paid staff of NOWCastSA have other lives outside of work. Several us are involved in the community and with activities that may or may not overlap with what is covered on our site. What does this mean to you? Well, we just want you to know that to make ourselves credible, we pledge full disclosure and transparency.
Please don’t sue us. Users hold harmless NOWCastSA in all issues related to submitted content. That is all.