Updated: For people in San Antonio, Austin, Corpus Christi, Dallas, Fort Worth and Houston metro areas, the window is extended to December 31, 2017 to enroll in or change your health insurance through the Affordable Care Act, also known as Obamacare, for the calendar year 2018. That means you can sign up or change your plan now.
- Open enrollment deadline to enroll in health insurance was Dec. 15, 2017, but it was extended to Dec. 31 for people in areas affected by Hurrican Harvey. After this date, individuals and families will have to wait until the next open enrollment period unless they have a qualifying event such was a marriage, adoption, change in employment, etc.
- The fee for those who do not enroll is $695 per adult and half of that fee per child. The maximum penalty per family is $2,085 or 2.5 percent of the family’s annual income; whichever is higher.
- The ACA requires individuals to be insured the entire year. If a person has a coverage lapse lasting three or more consecutive months, they will still face a partial penalty.
- Health insurance plans through the ACA are affordable, with many families paying as little as $3 per day to insure their entire family. Financial assistance is available based on income levels. Approximately 87 percent of individuals who signed up for a plan received financial assistance, with the average cost of plans being $101 per month.
There are three easy ways to apply for healthcare:
- On-line at www.healthcare.gov. or www.cuidadodesalud.gov.
- By phone at @ 1-800-318-2596 (Any language)
- In Person: San Antonians can easily locate an enrollment assister by calling 211, option 1, or by visiting www.enrollsa.com.
For those wishing to enroll, the documentation required includes:
- Social security number for every person in the family
- Tax return for the last year
- Last check stub for 2016
- Proof of legal status
- Health insurance information from current employer, if applicable
The Enroll SA Coalition will be holding enrollment event Nov. 1, 2017 from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Evening and weekend appointments are also available. For the latest information on events visit www.enrollsa.com.
If you are interested in more information about Enroll SA and future events click the link below for their calendar.www.enrollsa.com.
Frequently Asked Questions:
English: In this video, Texas Organizing Project community organizer Sandra Forrester answers some frequently asked questions about the Affordable Care Act.
Español: In este video, Texas Organizing Project organizador comunitario Sandra Forrester responde algunas preguntas frecuentes sobre la Affordable Care Act.