San Antonio Public Library will celebrate the 4th annual International Day of Yoga on Thursday, June 21 at 20 library locations across San Antonio with free classes and programs for all ages.
n addition, San Antonio Public Library cardholders are invited to check out magazines, books, eBooks, eAudiobooks, fitness DVDs, and other materials all about the ancient practice of yoga. Visit https://sanantonio.overdrive.com/collection/154840 to download digital material to your personal device.
Yoga is a physical, mental, and spiritual practice that combines body, breath, and mind. Recognizing its universal appeal, the United Nations proclaimed June 21 as the International Day of Yoga on Dec. 11, 2014. The International Day of Yoga aims to raise awareness worldwide of the many benefits of practicing yoga. The theme for the 2018 celebration, organized by the Permanent Mission of India to the United Nations, is “Yoga for Peace.” Programs and events at the San Antonio Public Library are BYOM (bring your own mat) and are taking place at the following times and locations:
International Day of Yoga: Interactive Display - Explore a wide variety of resources, from beginner to advanced, about the origins and practice of yoga. Bring your yoga mat if you would like to follow along with the interactive display!
- Bazan Branch Library (2200 W. Commerce St. 78207: https://www.google.com/maps?q=2200+W.+Commerce+St.), 10 a.m. – 11 a.m.
- Pruitt Library at Roosevelt (5110 Walzem Rd., 78218: https://www.google.com/maps?q=5110+Walzem+Rd.), Noon – 8 p.m.
YOGA ... International Day 2018 - Maverick Branch Library will feature a beginner level yoga video as an introduction to toning, flexibility and stress relief.
- Maverick Branch Library (8700 Mystic Park, 78254: https://www.google.com/maps/place/8700+Mystic+Park,+San+Antonio,+TX+78254), 12:15 p.m. – 1:30 p.m.
International Day of Yoga: Introduction to Yoga - A professional yoga instructor will take you through the basics of yoga. Light refreshments will be served.
- Johnston Branch Library (6307 Sun Valley, 78227: https://goo.gl/maps/p4EMisN22ru ), 1 p.m. – 2 p.m.
- Westfall Branch Library (6111 Rosedale Ct., 78201: https://www.google.com/maps?q=6111+Rosedale+Ct.), 1 – 2 p.m.
International Day of Yoga: Yoga for Teens - Teens learn about yoga and try out easy beginner poses. Comfortable clothing is encouraged.
- Forest Hills Branch Library (5245 Ingram Rd., 78228: https://www.google.com/maps?q=5245+Ingram+Rd.) 1:30 p.m. – 2 p.m.
International Day of Yoga Presentation - Join us on International Day of Yoga for a presentation of mat yoga by an experienced instructor. These non-strenuous exercises will increase relaxation, strengthen your muscles and joints as well as enrich the mind, body and spirit. Feel free to just watch or to participate.
- Carver Branch Library (3350 E. Commerce St., 78220: https://www.google.com/maps?q=3350+E.+Commerce+St.) 2 p.m. – 3 p.m.
International Day of Yoga: Kids Time Grown-up & Me Yoga - Please join us to celebrate the International Day of Yoga and learn a little about this ancient art as we practice some poses. This event is sponsored by City of San Antonio District 8 Councilman Manny Pelaez and is designed for children and their grownups.
- Igo Branch Library (13330 Kyle Seale Pkwy., 78249 https://www.google.com/maps?q=13330+Kyle+Seale+Pkwy.) 2 p.m.– 3 p.m.
International Day of Yoga: Fitness in the Park @ Encino - Exercise your mind, body, and soul with physical poses (asanas), breathing exercises (pranayama), and meditation (dhyana).
- Encino Branch Library (2515 E. East Evans Rd., 78259: https://www.google.com/maps?q=2515+E.+East+Evans+Rd.), 2 p.m. to 2:45 p.m.
International Day of Yoga: Seated Yoga - We're celebrating the International Day of Yoga by offering patrons an introduction to seated yoga. Participants will follow along with video instructor Carol Dickman to learn simple warm-up stretches, breathing exercises, yoga postures and relaxation, all done sitting down. Chairs will be provided.
- Thousand Oaks Branch Library (4618 Thousand Oaks Dr., 78233: https://maps.google.com/?q=4618+Thousand+Oaks+Dr.), 4 p.m. – 5 p.m.
International Day of Yoga: Yoga for Beginners - Join us on International Day of Yoga for a beginner’s class. An experienced instructor will be on site to teach the class. This ancient practice uses movement, breathing and posture to improve your health. These non-strenuous exercises will increase relaxation, strengthen your muscles and joints and enrich the mind, body and spirit.
- Schaefer Branch Library (6322 US Highway 87 E., 78222: https://maps.google.com/?q=6322+US+Highway+87+E.), 4 p.m. – 5 p.m.
- McCreless Branch Library (1023 Ada St., 78223: https://maps.google.com/?q=1023+Ada+St.), 4:30 p.m. – 5:30 p.m.
- Parman Branch Library (20735 Wilderness Oak, 78258: https://maps.google.com/?q=20735+Wilderness+Oak), 6 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.
- San Pedro Branch Library (1315 San Pedro Ave., 78212: https://maps.google.com/?q=1315+San+Pedro+Ave.), 6:30 – 7:30 p.m.
- Semmes Branch Library (15060 Judson Rd., 78247: https://maps.google.com/?q=15060+Judson+Rd.), 6:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.
Kidding Around- Yoga for Kids - This yoga session designed just for kids is in two parts - 4:30 - 5 p.m. for the toddler group and 5 p.m.– 5:30 p.m. for older kids.
- Cody Branch Library (11441 Vance Jackson Rd., 78230: https://maps.google.com/?q=11441+Vance+Jackson+Rd.), 4:30 – 5:30 p.m.
International Day of Yoga: Family Yoga - Celebrate International Day of Yoga with a streaming Family Yoga class.
- Great Northwest Branch Library (9050 Wellwood, 78250: https://maps.google.com/?q=9050+Wellwood), 5 p.m. – 5:30 p.m.
International Day of Yoga: Yoga Session - Please join us for yoga activities to include breath control, simple meditation, and the adoption of specific body postures for health and relaxation. All experience levels are welcome.
- Mission Branch Library (3134 Roosevelt Ave., 78214: https://maps.google.com/?q=3134+Roosevelt+Ave.), 5 p.m. – 6 p.m.
International Day of Yoga - Celebrate International Day of Yoga with our soothing and relaxing video-led class. You'll gently stretch the body while settling into a deep rest. Mats will be provided and no other equipment is needed except comfy clothes!
- Cortez Branch Library (2803 Hunter Blvd., 78224: https://maps.google.com/?q=2803+Hunter+Blvd.), 6 p.m. – 7 p.m.
International Yoga Day - In honor of International Day of Yoga, Mary Martha NcNeel, Qi Gong instructor, will instruct a yoga program.
- Collins Garden Branch Library (200 North Park Blvd., 78224: https://maps.google.com/?q=200+North+Park+Blvd.), 6:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.
Visit http://mysapl.org or call 210-207-2500 for more information or a map of library locations.