As I prepared to participate in the nation's largest memorial march in celebration of the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., I was immediately impressed by the seemingly endless sea of people waiting to march. It made me think of all the stories I had heard about the civil rights marches my own elder family members had been a part of.
I was anxious to get started, yet, wanted to soak up the energy I felt emanating from the crowd. I had always heard others speak of the march in reverent terms, without having the opportunity to experience it myself. This year would be different: I, along with my family, would walk the entire 3.1 miles with a 100,000 other San Antonio residents and visitors from all over the nation.
The nostalgia of the event was enhanced by the march being led by a fire engine from the 1960's, followed by a life-size replica of the bus on which Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat, sparking the year-long Montgomery Bus Boycott. Next, a sanitation truck symbolizing the Memphis Sanitation Workers strike of 1968 which brought Dr. King to Memphis. Finally, an all-black carriage with an ornate coffin, drawn by two solemn horses.
As I marched, mingling with people from all walks of life, I understood the full meaning of Dr. King's I Have a Dream speech. I saw people, not colors, walking together and enjoying the camaraderie. As the march was coming to an end, I made a mental note to plan to attend the march for many years to come. I feel a stronger connection to those who struggled for later generations to be able to enjoy the fruits of a quality education and a better life, and I will continue to instill the knowledge of the civil rights movement in my children.
2013 MLK People's Slideshow
Interviews from the 2013 March
- 2012 - Diverse range of humanity marches in San Antonio in memory of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- 2012 - 200,000 expected at San Antonio's 2012 Martin Luther King March
- 2011 - A collection of coverage of the Martin Luther King March in San Antonio and beyond
- 2011 - March for Martin Luther King draws 100,000 in San Antonio
- 2011 - Martin Luther King March Webcast
- 2011 - Tens of thousands expected for Martin Luther King March
- 2010 - Images of the Martin Luther King Jr. Day March: A slideshow
- 2010 - Martin Luther King Jr. March photos
- 2010 Martin Luther King Jr. March