AIDS Awareness Week (AAW) is an extension of World AIDS Day (Dec. 1), a full week to present events or awareness programs. AIDS Awareness Week will occur on the full week in which World AIDS Day falls, which this year is Nov. 27 through Dec. 3.
AIDS Awareness Week allows groups and individuals an opportunity to present programs or activities throughout the week, therefore offering more opportunities for the public to participate, attend or simply learn about HIV/AIDS issues.
Events in the Area
- Throughout AIDS Awareness Week (Nov. 27 through Dec. 3), a commemorative banner by late artist Chuck Ramirez will be displayed on the ArtPace building at 445 N. Main.
- The Student National Pharmaceutical Association's chapter at the University of the Incarnate Word will host a Remember the Ribbon candlelight vigil at 5:30 p.m. on Monday, Nov. 28 at the Chapel of the Incarnate Word. The campus is located at 4301 Broadway Street with the chapel located along Broadway Street north of E. Hildebrand Avenue.
- Ten faiths and more than 25 organizations invite you to an interfaith service of remembrance and hope beginning at 6 p.m. on Thursday, Dec. 1. The event, sponsored by the San Antonio World AIDS Day Collaborative, will be held at TriPoint, located at 3233 N. St. Mary's Street. A listing of all the organizations involved can be found on the group's Facebook page.
- The Flohr Print Studio will be open for participants to create a card to honor or commemorate an individual with AIDS. Artists from the Southwest School of Art will lead participants in working with monoprint, drypoint and collage techniques. The session will be held from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Thursday, Dec. 1, at the SSA's Navarro Campus at 300 Augusta Street downtown.
- The 3rd Annual Threads for Hope Runway Show, presented by the International Academy of Design and Technology's Stitch Fashion Club, will benefit the San Antonio AIDS Foundation. Threads for Hope is proud to be an event held during World AIDS Week. The event is scheduled to begin with a cocktail hour at 6:30 p.m. with the runway show to begin at 8 p.m., on Thursday, Dec. 1, at the Hotel Contessa at 306 W. Market Street. Tickets are $20.
- The Health Education Department of Student Health Services at the University of Texas at San Antonio will be honoring its 6th annual celebration of World AIDS Day. The Health Education Department will host a free, confidential HIV testing and HIV/AIDS prevention education information expo for all UTSA students. As part of the information expo, this year will showcase student organizations that are aligning their efforts with the World AIDS Day 2011 Campaign of “Getting to Zero: Zero New HIV Infections, Zero AIDS Related Deaths, and Zero Discrimination”. The event begins at 10 a.m. on Thursday, Dec. 1, in the UC Paseo at the main campus of UTSA.
- The San Antonio AIDS Foundation will be offering extended testing hours (from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.) on World AIDS Day for their normal free HIV testing services. Tests are anonymous and confidential. You do not need to give your name and minors do not need parental consent to test. Results are given in about 20 minutes. Regular testing hours are from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Thursday, and from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Fridays. The SAAF is located at 818 E. Grayson Street off Broadway Street and near Fort Sam Houston.
Image on home page courtesy of Flickr user SamwiseGamgee69. Thanks.