Updated for 2020: On the Memorial Day holiday, Monday, May 25, San Antonio City Hall and most municipal offices will remain closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Metro Health’s emergency operations, epidemiology and sanitarian workers will continue their response to the COVID-19 pandemic. Mayor Nirenberg and Judge Wolff will provide their daily COVID-19 update at 6:13 p.m. Public safety and emergency services will remain in operation.
Scroll down for details of a 30-minute flyover at noon by four World War II aircraft.
But do you have to take out the trash on Memorial Day?
Yes. Recycling, organics recycling and garbage will be collected on Monday, May 25.
The Bitters Brush Recycling Center, 1800 Wurzbach Parkway and the Nelson Gardens Brush Recycling Center, 8963 Nelson will both be open.
Dead animal collection crews will be on duty and the 3-1-1 Call Center will be operational from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m..
- Recycling, organics recycling and garbage will be collected
- Police will be on duty
- Fire and EMS personnel will be on duty
- 3-1-1 Call Center will operate on holiday hours from 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Downtown visitors will enjoy a parking meter holiday
- Dead animal collection crews will be on duty
- Animal Care Officers will be on duty
- San Antonio Botanical Garden, 555 Funston Place
- Bitters Brush Recycling Center, 1800 Wurzbach Parkway
- Nelson Gardens Brush Recycling Center, 8963 Nelson Rd
- Magistrate Court and Detention Center
- City parks and trails
- Animal Care Services Adoption Center
- Bulky waste collection centers and household hazardous waste sites
- Metro Health locations and clinics
- Metro Health COVID-19 Hotline
- Municipal Court Services
- Pre-K 4 SA offices and centers
- Senior Centers
- Senior Nutrition Sites (seniors or the general public may contact individual nutrition sites for holiday schedule information)
- City of San Antonio Community Service Centers
- Office of the City Clerk, Passports, Vital Records and Municipal Archives and Records
- La Villita Administrative Offices
- Market Square Administrative Offices
- Solid Waste Management Administrative Offices
- McFarlin Tennis Center, 1503 San Pedro
- SAPD Administration and Records Section
- SAFD Administration and Records Section
- Alamodome Administrative Offices
COVID-19 Related Closures:
- All San Antonio Public Library locations
- Animal Care Services Lobby
- Parks & Recreation Community Centers
- Parks & Recreation Adult and Senior Centers
- Head Start Administrative Offices and school district sites
- Child Care Services Administrative Offices
- NXT Level Youth Opportunity Center
- Ron Darner Parks and Recreation Headquarters, 5800 Enrique M. Barrera Parkway
- Enrique Barrera Community Fitness Center, 5800 Enrique M. Barrera Parkway
- San Antonio Natatorium, 1430 W. Cesar E. Chavez Blvd.
- The Parks and Recreation Department’s outdoor pools
- Fitness in the Park
- Municipal Court, 401 S. Frio
- Spanish Governor’s Palace
- La Villita and Market Square shops
- Mission Marquee Plaza
- Carver Community Cultural Center, 226 N. Hackberry
- Centro de Artes Gallery at Market Square
- Culture Commons Gallery at Plaza de Armas
- Alamodome Box Office
Historic World War II Planes to Fly Over San Antonio on Memorial Day
From news release: Lewis Air Legends, in collaboration with the City of San Antonio, will take to the skies over San Antonio neighborhoods on Memorial Day, Monday, May 25th in dedication to those who have given the ultimate sacrifice in military service. The flyover formation will feature four World War II era aircraft in a 30-minute aerial display.
The flyover route will start at noon over the Interstate-10 and 1604 corridor, then fly south to Kelly Field, turn north circling downtown businesses and neighborhoods, and finish over Fort Sam National Cemetery with a missing man break. The formation will be a combination of one WWII bomber and three fighters.
Aircraft and pilots in formation order:
- B-25J Mitchell “Russian Ta Get Ya”, pilots Rod Lewis and Stewart Dawson
- P-51 Mustang “Miss Marilyn”, pilot Jim Dale
- P-51 Mustang “Happy Jack”, pilot Dr. Bruce Winter
- P-51 Mustang “La Pistolera”, pilot Gordon Richardson
Schedule change or cancellation possible if inclement weather. The social media hashtag is #LALMemorialFlyover.