Southbound Blanco Road between San Francisco Street and Fresno Drive will close March 20, 2013, for six months. Northbound traffic will remain open during this time.
The closure will allow crews to reconstruct the roadway, curbs, sidewalks, driveways and intersecting streets, as well as install a large storm sewer system to improve drainage in the area. The $12.7 Million project is funded by the City of San Antonio 2012-17 Capital Bond Package approved by voters in May 2012.
Updates about the project are available in many ways:
- Follow CIMS on Facebook www.facebook.com/SanAntonioCIMS
- View updates at www.blancordproject.com
- Sign up for the email eBlast at www.blancordproject.com
The closure is part of the Blanco Road project which reconstructs and widens Blanco Road from San Francisco Street to Edison Drive and from El Monte Boulevard to Olmos Creek. The project includes:
- an underground storm drainage system
- new curbs, sidewalks and driveway approaches
- left turn lanes at major intersections
- traffic signal upgrades
- gas, water and sewer main replacements
A detour route directs traffic along Fresno Drive to IH-10 to the west or San Pedro Avenue to the east, leading toward Hildebrand Avenue. A copy of the detour map is attached and is also available on Facebook and on the project website. The contractor has erected an electronic message board notifying motorists of the pending closure and detour route maps were distributed to the property owners in the project area.