How are local journalists navigating when even the most prestigious news organizations are being undermined and attacked, and reporters are threatened?
That was the catalyst for a special DreamWeek panel hosted by Dhawn Martin of the SoL Center.
The panel discussion was led by San Antonio Express-News journalist Elaine Ayala.
Panelists discussed how the polarizing environment has affected journalists and the gathering of news, the newsroom environment, assignments, and their relationship with readers, viewers and the community as a whole. Panelists used anecdotes and observations to describe how they help audiences identify facts and real news as opposed to fakes.
- Bernice Kearney, News Director, KSAT 12 News
- Charlotte-Anne Lucas, Executive Director, NOWCastSA
- Kym Fox, Associate Professor, Journalism, Texas State University
- Denise Barkis Richter, Professor, Communication, Palo Alto College
- Francisco Vara-Orta, National Reporter/Data Specialist, Chalkbeat (Now working as a Training Director at Investigative Reporters & Editors)
Replay video from the event here: