Since 1997, the City of San Antonio Fire Department and Department of Human Services, Catholic Charities of San Antonio, Inc., United Way of San Antonio & Bexar County, the Society of St. Vincent de Paul and community/corporate partners have coordinated Project Cool to provide heat relief to senior residents 60 years of age and older across the city through donation and free distribution of 20-inch box fans to seniors in need.
Last year Project Cool distributed 3,563 fans to vulnerable seniors in San Antonio to protect them from the sweltering summer heat. This year they hope to distribute even more! Join us for the kick-off June 3 at the Guadalupe Community Center from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.
The agencies attending to provide community resources for seniors are:
- Alamo Area Council of Governments (AACOG)
- Adult Protective Services
- Bexar County
- Department of Aging and Disability Services
- Christian Senior Services/Meals on Wheels
- San Antonio Food Bank
- Client Services and Senior Services
- San Antonio Independent Living Services
- Hunter’s Pond Long Term Care Facility
- Westside Resource Council
Baptist Health Systems mobile unit will also be here providing free health screenings (BP, cholesterol, BMI).
There will also have a table with information about how to obtain a fan this year.