Please join Councilwoman Shirley Gonzales, District 5, Kathy Donellan, Assistant Director, San Antonio Public Library, Stacy Gonzales, Project Manager, Transportation & Capital Improvements and Geoff Edwards, Principal, MuñozMuñoz and Company for a Community Informational Meeting on Saturday, Dec. 1, from 10 a.m. to noon at Memorial Branch Library, 3222 Culebra Road 78228.
MORE: As part of the voter approved 2017-2022 Bond Program, the San Antonio Public Library is preparing for the first of six Bond projects that will improve and enhance a number of Libraries. Memorial Branch Library is the first Library slated for improvements that will involve a comprehensive renovation and building façade update.
The community is encouraged to attend and learn about the positive changes that will be taking place and share input in the project. The budget for the improvements at Memorial Branch Library is $3.3 million dollars. Some of those highlights include: major enhancements to the children’s area, the creation of a dedicated teen center, a full technology refresh, building expansion, community meeting room upgrade, complete restroom renovations and an enhanced lobby. Another addition related directly to services is the installation of a self-service laptop kiosk.
The last time renovations were implemented was in 2010 with a budget of $300,000. The improvements are part of the 2017-2022 Bond Program are significant in comparison, while also greatly needed. With the new upgrades to Memorial Branch Library the plan it to further support the community as technology and related needs evolve.
The total 2017-2022 Bond Package was approved for $850 million dollars. This includes six projects for the San Antonio Public Library system. The library projects are summarized below. These projects represent a total of $12.1 million of SAPL’s priority renovation projects at existing library locations. These locations include the following:
- Central Library - $3M update first floor and third floor children’s and teen area
- Texana and Genealogy Resource Center Project - $700,000 – to improve the 6th floor space
- McCreless Branch Library renovation - $2.5M to transform the branch and building façade.
- Memorial Branch Library renovation - $3.3M for a comprehensive renovation and building façade update.
- Las Palmas Branch Library renovation - $1.7M for a renovation refresh.
- Forest Hills Branch Library renovation- $900,000 for a renovation refresh.
To learn more about the 2017-2022 Bond Program visit www.sanantonio.gov/2017 or call 210-207-8026.