The Mexican American Legislative Caucus held a Texas Redistricting Town Hall on Sept. 24, 2020 to discuss the census, redistricting and gerrymandering.
In 2021, the Texas Legislature is scheduled to begin the redistricting process for 38 or 39 U.S. House seats, Texas Senate seats and Texas House of Representatives seats. Because of COVID-19, the Texas House and Texas Senate indefinitely postponed a series of public input hearings that were to have been held in cities across Texas in 2020.
Replay video from the Town Hall below, and hear from experts and MALC members about the history of redistricting in Texas, and the importance of filling out the census ahead of the 87th Texas Legislative Session.
- José Garza, Civil Rights Attorney
- Joaquin Gonzalez, Texas Civil Rights Project
- Michael Li, Brennan Center for Justice at NYU Law
- Katie Martin Lightfoot, Texas Counts
- Lydia Ozuna, Texans Against Gerrymandering
- Dr. Lila Valencia, Texas Demographic Center
MALC Members included:
- State Representative Rafael Anchía, MALC Chair
- State Representative Alex Dominguez
- State Representative Jessica González
- State Representative Terry Meza
- State Representative Ina Minjarez
- State Representative Joe Moody, Speaker Pro Tempore
- State Representative Ana-Maria Ramos
- State Representative Armando Walle
For more info contact at email@example.com.