What Are Tenants’ and Renters’ Rights In a Pandemic and a Winter Storm Disaster?

Submitted by Karen Goode on February 27, 2021 - 2:47pm

The COVID-19 pandemic and crushing winter storms have left many tenants facing enormous stress and lots of questions.

Here are Some Good Resources:

Eviction Ban: The Center for Disease Control extended its temporary ban on evictions through March 31, 2021 to prevent further spread of COVID-19. Learn more here: 

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Can your landlord just call you up one day and say, “Hey, I need you to be off my premises in about three days!” 

A: From the TRGLA site: If your landlord terminates your lease and you do not want to leave, they must still go through a formal eviction process before they can kick you out.  

Also, the City of San Antonio requires landlords to give tenants a copy Notice of Tenants’ Rights be attached to every Notice to Vacate.

Q: My landlord wants me to move because the weather caused my pipes to burst, how soon do I have to be out?

A: From San Antonio’s Tenants’ Rights:  First, the landlord must file a Notice to Vacate, and give you a copy of your Tenants Rights. After the Notice to Vacate has been delivered, the landlord may file a suit in a Justice Court. The Justice Court will set a date for the hearing which is usually within 21 days of the filing. The Court will notify you in writing of the date you must appear. 

Q: My landlord called me and told me he has renters who are going to pay him more, but he gave me 30 days to move out, he is willing to break my lease for me, do I have to move?

A: Call Texas Rio Grande Legal Aid at 210-212-3700 and ask for the legal department. This service is free.

Q: What can I do if my ceiling fell in from a busted water pipe from the apartment above my apartment and ruined 75% of my property?

A: From the TRGLA site: Your landlord isn’t responsible for loss or damage to your personal belongings. You should contact your renter’s insurance agency if you have one. You may also be able to get FEMA disaster assistance to replace damaged personal property.